Whenever people ask me where my favourite place was on our road trip across Europe last Summer, my response is simple- and broad!- ‘Austria’. It was the most beautiful, and the most unexpected. This something that was only reinforced and corroborated in our latest visit.
But to fly into Vienna, or Salzburg, or Innsbuck and just stay there is NOT to see the real Austria. Along with recommending it as an amazing travel destination, I will always insist that people also grab a car and head out into the countryside.
Here are just 15 reasons why:
1. Hallstatt from above: a UNESCO World Heritage View, Salzkammergut
2. Hallstattersee: The walk into town, Salzkammergut.
3. Campsite in Hohe Tauern National Park: the calm after the storm.
4. Jungfernsprung, Hohe Tauern National Park
5. The winding route of Grossglockner High Alpine Pass.
6. Another amazing view on Grossglockner High Alpine Pass
7. On the Romantic Strasse, Mondsee (I think), Salzkammergut.
8.On the Romantic Strasse, Grünau (I think)
9. On the Romantic Strasse, Grünau (I think)
10. Leopoldsteinersee, Styria
11. Leopoldsteinersee, from another angle, Styria.
12.Part way up Mount Loser, Ausseerland.
13. Krimmler Wasserfalle from the base, Hohe Tauern National Park.
14. Krimmler Wasserfalle mid-hike, Hohe Tauern National Park.
15. Krimmler Wasserfalle from afar, Hohe Tauern National Park: