Ever wondered how you’d pass the time on long-distance roadtrip? Well, during our European road-trip, we travelled approximately 3,750 miles, which meant around 70 hours of driving (before you even take into account traffic jams or us detouring/getting lost!). Therefore, we needed a LOT of music and so prepared a fairly extensive playlist based not only on our own top tunes, but also songs that were great as driving or travelling anthems. I’ve sifted though our Spotify playlist and whittled it down to a top 15!
- The Passenger: Iggy Pop– As I am (as-yet) unable to drive, this is pretty appropriate to my situation as well as being an awesome, toe-tapping tune
- Life is a Highway: Tom Cochrane– If you’re familiar to my blog, you’ll see that I’m a big fan of this song- it’s just so catchy. Every time I update on here I’m guaranteed to start singing this sound out loud!
- Take it Easy: The Eagles– a really mellow, upbeat tune that just makes me think about cruising along empty roads taking in the beautiful scenery
- Free Bird: Lynryd Skynyrd– although this starts off sounding slightly morose, it quickly becomes a really beautiful melody full of hope and with a gorgeous sentiment, before finally kicking into a brilliant rock anthem
- One Day Like This: Elbow– another slow one, but with a beautiful, uplifting message this seems perfect for travelling. Though I’m not sure I could settle for just ‘one day like this a year’! I guess I’m travelling-spoilt 🙂
- Boys are Back in Town: Thin Lizzy– As a girl who travels (and is predominantly friends with) men, this song was great for in the car as it’s such a brilliant, classic sing-along (in fact, as if to prove a point, my husband is actually singing along to it right now!)
- Dakota: Stereophonics– This is such a gorgeously summery tune that almost screams ‘ROAD TRIP’.
- Born to Run: Bruce Springsteen– I’m slightly biased with this one, as I love the boss but think this is a great tune and will be particularly appropriate en-route to Vienna in a couple of weeks for the boys to complete the marathon there!
- Every Teardrop is a Waterfall: Coldplay– Another (almost-painfully) cheery tune, perfect for travelling when everything seems optimistic and very little can bring you down
- Don’t Stop Me Now: Queen– In my opinion there should always be a bit of Queen on any good playlist, but the lyrics of this song in particular are just perfect for when you’re having an adventure!
- 2-4-6-8 Motorway: Tom Robinson Band- A bit of a cringey tune but one guaranteed to get you singing along! I’ve loved it ever since I first heard it on British sitcom ‘Only Fools and Horses’.
- Go your Own Way: Fleetwood Mac– What can I even say about this one?
- Paradise City: Guns & Roses– Always a favourite of mine, again the lyrics are perfect as a metaphor for travelling. The world is my ‘paradise city’.
- Black Betty: Spiderbait– A bit of a heavier one; I love this song to rock out to in the back of the car!
- Highway Star: Deep Purple– Another head-banging tune perfectly paired with the driving theme
- The Proclaimers- 500 Miles- A cheeky bonus track, because I can’t believe I forgot this one!! Adam is Scottish and we love it’s feature on Ted and Marshall’s road-trips on one of our favourite comedies: ‘How I Met Your Mother’.
What songs would you add to or replace from my list? What are your top 15 driving tunes?